Love + Radio: Such Is the Way to the Stars
Love + Radio is my favorite podcast. It was also my first foray into listening to creative audio pieces. Love + Radio leans into audio art rather than classic interview-format podcasts, which I love. Each episode removes much of the interviewer's voice, leaving the (always eclectic) narrator telling a story about their life. Recently, Love + Radio has begun blending fact and fiction, presenting their creative stories in an identical format to the real-life interviews. It can be difficult to tell which is which.
In my own audio documentary work, I like the concept of incorporating sound effects behind the storyteller's voice, as well as creating repetition and overlapping narration. Though I may not incorporate this type of audio editing in my final documentary project, I draw inspiration from more creative pieces like this one on Love + Radio. This episode overlaps different types of narrators, historical and fiction storytelling, original music, answering machine recordings, and more traditional interviews.
